Sr Automation Engineer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60016
This position requires an individual with strong technical skills relating to process control systems. The individual will need to support customers throughout the life cycle of project work. This will include providing hardware and software engineering, system start-up, and customer training. The customers may be both external and internal.
In the lead technical role, an individual will be a contributing part of a project team but also be responsible to direct, supervise, lead, and review all assigned engineering personnel and their assigned tasks for a project. The individual will assign tasks, monitor performance, review results, coordinate efforts, and track hour usage on projects. Leading and participating in start-up assignments will also be required.
- Analyzes customer’s requirements to determine the optimal process control system solution and determines applicable control configuration/architecture.
- Makes recommendations for improvements and assists Project Manager to propose these to the customer.
- Performs conceptual process control systems design, determination of process control system strategy, design of assembled programming, and hardware design.
- Participates in the design, implementation, test, and startup phases of complex systems projects.
- Uses technologies used in standard offerings, new applications and extensions of current architectures or software packages.
- Responsible for using application solution-related or technology-related best practices on assigned projects.
- Responsible for identifying and communicating potential application solution-related or technology-related best practices.
- Assists Project Manager with technical issues and determine changes which may/can have commercial/scheduling impact.
- May participate in the development of the team strategic plan.
- May provide on-site process control system start-up as required.
- Plans, schedules, coordinates and monitors resources for projects including setting and managing time-scales and budgets.
- Provides verbal and written reports to communicate project status as required and contribute to project review meetings.
- Visits internal/external panel manufacturing facilities to assess progress, provide technical assistance and for final inspection and sign off.
- Provides a leading role in technical activities and will direct the activities of others assigned to customer projects. Take lead role in organizing, assigning, reviewing software development, direct functional specification development and planning for integrated customer witness testing.
- Client liaison and interface with management
- Development and maintenance of customer relationship
- Team player with the ability to integrate with other team project members
- Interface with other groups within Rockwell Automation.
- Review project hardware/software for compliance with applicable codes/standards and assure personnel/machinery safety practices are fully implemented.
- Coordinate customer requirements with engineering and other appropriate departments to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction is achieved
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or technical related discipline.
- Up to 30% travel
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering.
- 5+ years’ experience of process control system applications throughout the project lifecycle from initial design concepts through to installation and subsequent client support.
- Experience in the design and implementation of new and/or existing PLC based process control systems.
- Experiencewith industrial communications networks, such as Ethernet/IP, fiber optic systems, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, ControlNet, DNP3.0. and/or IEC61850.
- Experience with Rockwell AutomationProducts hardware and software product suites (ControlLogix, Logix 5000, FT View, FT Historian and FT VantagePoint.) experience.
- Experience with object oriented based control system design methods.
- Control System Architecture Design( Client Server); including Virtual Client Server design experience preferred
- Proven abilities in design, engineering, start up, testing, and implementation phases of projects
- Review Specifications, I&C Control drawings, HMI screens, PLC programs, SCADA, etc.
- Requires understanding and knowledge process instrumentation such as flow, level, pressure, and temperature instruments.
- Knowledge of Industry standard proves design methods such as ISA and UL 508A with technical/engineering controls background.
- Knowledge of current electrical safety standards such as NEC and OHSA
- Experience in hardware design of process control systems including control panel design including heat load calculations, power/load calculation, and circuit protection.
- Experience in process control discrete and analog signals for DCS/PLC based systems including hardware design, hardware testing, troubleshooting and implementation.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (844) 404-7427.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Disability/Veteran.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or reasonable accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at RAApplicationsupport@ra.rockwell.com.