Sr. Food Technologist
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Kelly Science has an immediate opening for a Sr. Food Technologist in the Chicagoland area
• Formulate and Develop foods and supplements including: powders, ready-to-drink beverages, ready-to-eat foods, capsule, and/or tablets.
• Validate ingredients and ingredient vendors, preliminary costing and preparing nutritional and supplement facts panels.
• Create and flavor prototypes.
• Organizes sensory panels. Refines formulations until desired characteristics are achieved.
• Oversees/Conducts pilot plant experiments and scale-up manufacturing runs determining action standards, unit operations, etc.
• Initiates raw material and factory trial analytical testing.
• Enters raw material specifications and formulas into product development software.
• Reformulates to bring formulations into compliance with changing government regulations or customer requirements.
• Monitors product stability.
• Guide and mentor junior team members as needed.
• May have up to 2 direct reports.
o Work with line manager to set SMART goals for direct reports that are tied to core company initiatives
o Discuss and Review PDPs with direct reports
• Documents all formulations, variables tested, product stability, and other pertinent details and enters into lab notebooks and Formula Management System.
• Produces formula cost information; works with purchasing, finance, and sales teams to help establish final product pricing; initiates new item documents and set-up for all product introductions.
• Steer cross functional discussions in relation to R&D’s role in projects
• Works with Regulatory to generate compliant Supplement/Nutrition facts panels and ingredient listings for product packaging/artwork and proofreads for accuracy.
• Work with Marketing and other departments on the technical scope of projects from concept through execution.
• Raw material specification advisement and review.
• Provides Leadership in a team environment.
• Contributes to innovation, trouble shooting, and brain storming ideas in a team environment.
• Identifies & overcomes barriers to successful innovation by developing strong interdepartmental relationships with customer, manufacturing, supply chain, accounting, quality, and purchasing teams.
• Gather background detail from various departments to create timelines and estimate due dates for projects. Tracking projects through process flow to ensure all on track and meeting timelines.
• Understands customer needs, business needs and strategy.
• Works with key suppliers and purchasing team to keep abreast of upcoming trends, novel ingredients, and new application ideas.
• Considered a key knowledgeable resource for others in the company.
Education Bachelors of Science Degree in food science, nutrition, or related science field, or equivalent experience
Experience 8+ years of relevant experience. Relevant experience includes working in the food & beverage, or dietary supplement industry. Prior development and dietary supplement knowledge is a plus
Knowledge of the position requires:
• Advanced knowledge in at least one of the following food formats (Ready-to-Drink, Ready-to-Eat, Tabs/Caps) is a must.
• Advanced Experience taking products from concept through final production with a in depth understanding of one or more of the following processes:
o Ribbon Blending
o Paddle Blending
o V blending
o HTST Processing
o UHT Processing
o Retort Processing
o Tunnel Pasteurization
o Extruded Foods
o Slabbed Foods
o Deposited Foods
o Baked Foods
o Enrobed Foods
o Roller Compaction
• Knowledge of Powder Development
• Knowledge and development history of food products is essential
• Knowledge and application of flavor systems is essential – easily able to troubleshoot challenges to flavor
• Understands daily lab processes and production processes
• Extensive raw material and stability knowledge is essential.
• Proven track record of developing new concepts and bringing products to market.
• Project management experience (Discipline, Organization, planning, attention to detail, communication tools) is a plus.
Skills of the position
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), nutritional software and MRP/SAP systems
• Detail oriented, well organized, and follows GMP lab and factory guidelines
• Strong Written and Verbal communication skills.
• Strong analytical and communication skills
• Ability to solve problems quickly and “think outside the box” handling multiple projects/tasks at one time
• Able to advise on development processes and parameters Works well in a fast paced “hands on” environment and stays in control under pressure.
• Able to formulate independently based on customer requirements for a project identifying any potential issues and alerting manager or customer.
• Effective Communication, Collaboration and positive Interactions with cross functional departments and customers.
• Experience in process creation and process governance
Competencies for the position
• Demonstrates Perseverance: Seldom gives up before finishing especially in the face of resistance or setbacks and pursues everything with energy and drive
• Demonstrates confidence around Higher Management – can present to more Senior Management without undue tension/nervousness.
• Informing – provides individuals accurate information so they can make accurate decisions. Is timely with information.
Why Kelly ® ?
Kelly® Science & Clinical is your connection to premier scientific and clinical companies looking to hire talented people just like you. Every day, we match science professionals with dream jobs that fit their skills and interests-it’s the way we think job searching should be. Nearly 100 percent of our science recruiters have a professional background/education in science, so we know a thing or two about the science market and how to get you noticed.
About Kelly ®
At Kelly, we’re always thinking about what’s next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we’re a leading advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live (plus, did we mention we provide a ton of benefits ?). Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law. (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm)