Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60661
Posting End Date:
United States of America
Salary Mid Point:
Metra is one of the largest and most complex commuter rail systems in North America, serving Cook, DuPage, Will, Lake, Kane, and McHenry Counties. The agency is linking communities in Northeastern Illinois by providing safe, reliable, and efficient commuter service.
The Capital Project Delivery team is responsible for the execution of design and construction projects in Metra’s Capital Program. Major areas of ongoing project activity include: Stations & Parking (new stations, major rehabs, smaller updates); Bridges (repairs, upgrades, complete replacements); and Metra Facilities (yard facilities, mechanical shops, office buildings; crew facilities). The team also provides design expertise in various engineering disciplines for track, infrastructure, structure and signal work involving other railroads.
Reporting to the Chief Project Delivery Officer, the NEPA Manager will lead and track the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) review and permitting processes for capital projects; develop and manage third party contracts; coordinate the work of consulting engineers and other professional staff performing planning, design, or investigative functions; and lead the public participation process for various projects.
The primary duties include attend capital project meetings to advise project teams on potential NEPA impact and strategies for mitigation, avoidance, and compensation; report on project status and schedules; and discuss and coordinate ongoing project issues.
Lead, track, and report on the NEPA environmental review process and NEPA environmental permitting for projects in Metra’s Capital Program.
Draft components of contracts including scope of work, project descriptions, determination of eligibility, and related items in solicitation of professional engineering firms to lead the design and construction of capital projects for compliance with NEPA regulations.
Manage third party contracts, coordinate tasks and schedules with design and construction teams, review consultants work for contract compliance, and approve payment for completed tasks.
Lead, develop, and manage public outreach activities for the NEPA, Section 106, and related environmental processes.
Works under both inside and outside environmental conditions under prevailing conditions of heat, cold, rain, and snow.
Candidates can expect salary offers that range from the minimum to the mid-point of the salary range. Metra provides full pay ranges so candidate can consider their growth potential.
Metra is a railroad employer subject to the provisions of the Railroad Retirement Tax Act, not the Social Security Administration.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Planning, Engineering, Architecture or a related discipline.
2. In addition to .#1, must have eight years of NEPA project experience that includes a combination of the following: program planning, impact analysis, and permitting; compliance investigation and mitigation; and contract development and management.
3. Comprehensive knowledge of the NEPA environmental review process.
4. Considerable knowledge of:
- best practices to mitigate, avoid, and compensate potential NEPA impacts, preferably in transportation projects.
- project and contract management, project costing, monitoring, and reporting techniques.
- applicable local, state, and federal codes, regulations, and requirements.
- organizational, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- verbal, written and graphic communication skills, including technical editing.
- interpersonal skills in dealing with all levels of management, employees, external groups, and other organizations.
6. Demonstrated skills in project management methods, practices, and procedures.
7. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite with emphasis in Word, Excel, and Outlook.
8. Ability to:
- develop and implement policies, methods, practices, and procedures.
- manage a high volume of projects, deadlines, and project teams in a fast paced environment with detail and accuracy.
- work with sensitive information and maintain strict confidentiality.
9. Must be available to work flexible hours in the early morning, late afternoon, evenings, or weekends.
1. Master’s degree.
2. Transit project experience and experience with FTA Region 5.
3. Supervisory experience.
Metra is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, gender identity, disability or any protected categories, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation.