Backend Software Engineer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60684
CDM Smith is seeking a Backend Software Engineer to join our growing Digital Solutions team. In this role, you will work on an agile development team and collaborate with domain experts to define and build software solutions, design the underlying architecture, support efficient implementation of various front-end applications, develop effective databases to support a wide range of data integration options, write efficient APIs, test software, and ensure developed solutions are reliable and secure.
Responsibilities in this role include:
• Write clean code to develop functional web applications independently.
• Write Server-Side scrips and APIs.
• Implement security structures.
• Generate reusable code libraries.
• Create data storage solutions.
• Troubleshoot and debug applications.
• Collaborate with Front-end developers to integrate user-facing elements with server-side logic.
• Modify database tables, fields, etc., and make database design decisions of moderate to high complexity.
• Build moderately complex to complex deployment packages, use issue tracking software, use source code control, and perform other supporting activities related to application development projects.
• Liaise with developers, designers, and system administrators to identify new features.
Backend Software Engineer
CDM Smith Employment Type:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
• 5 years of related experience.
• Domestic and/or international travel may be required but is not anticipated. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
• Familiarity with cloud platforms and Kubernetes cluster environments.
• Familiarity with design patterns, application modeling (particularly using UML), QA practices and tools (e.g. NUnit), automated configuration management, and GIS concepts.
• Familiarity with CI/CD tools such as build and deployment pipelines.
• Experience leading or mentoring junior staff.
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship status, genetics, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Why CDM Smith?:
CDM Smith provides lasting and integrated solutions in water, environment, transportation, energy and facilities to public and private clients worldwide. As a full-service consulting, engineering, construction, and operations firm, we deliver exceptional client service, quality results and enduring value across the entire project life cycle.
Job Site Location:
Illinois – Chicago
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
Amount of Travel Required:
Visa Sponsorship Available:
No – We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for this position
Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrates the use of core computer science topics, such as: Object and/or Function Oriented Design; advanced data structures and algorithms; relational database design; and W3C standards.
• Familiarity with common software development technology stacks.
• Thorough knowledge of SOAP and REST web services.
• Knowledge of common frameworks (e.g. React, Node.js, MVC).
• Familiarity with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL).
• Familiarity with NoSQL databases (e.g. MongoDB).
• Good problem solving and research skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Background Check and Drug Testing Information:
CDM Smith reserves the right to require background checks including criminal, employment, education, licensure, etc. as well as credit and motor vehicle when applicable for certain positions. In addition, CDM Smith may conduct drug testing for designated positions. Background checks are conducted after an offer of employment has been made in the United States. The timing of when background checks will be conducted on candidates for positions outside the United States will vary based on country statutory law but in no case, will the background check precede an interview. CDM Smith will conduct interviews of qualified individuals prior to requesting a criminal background check, and no job application submitted prior to such interview shall inquire into an applicant’s criminal history. If this position is subject to a background check for any convictions related to its responsibilities and requirements, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify a candidate. In addition, during employment individuals may be required by CDM Smith or a CDM Smith client to successfully complete additional background checks, including motor vehicle record as well as drug testing.