R&D Laboratory Technician II
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Des Plaines, IL 60017
Join a team recognized for leadership, innovation and diversity
The future is what you make it.
When you join Honeywell, you become a member of our global team of thinkers, innovators, dreamers and doers who make the things that make the future.
UOP, a Honeywell company headquartered in Des Plaines, Illinois, is a leading international licensor of processing technology and supplier of engineering services, catalysts and adsorbents, equipment, specialty materials and digital solutions for the global refining, gas processing and petrochemical industries. With more than a century of leadership in hydrocarbon processing technologies, UOP has led six revolutions in technology that transformed our industry. For more information visit www.uop.com.
The desired candidate will work a first shift schedule, Monday through Friday, typically starting between 6am-7am, and will observe the established company holiday schedule. Internal customer interaction is an important and frequent requirement of the position. It is common to attend project meetings and to interact in person with specialists every day they are on site. Must be available 24/7 for calls from shift technicians on assigned group of pilot plants.
Provide technical support and coordinate the activities for an assigned group of pilot plants. Your work will include collecting, organizing, interpreting, and comparing data against expected performance, analyzing results and initiating approved action, and ensuring there is effective communication with internal customers. You will support the team by ensuring all safety aspects are properly considered, instructions are written and up to date, shift technicians are trained, and improvement projects are implemented on your assigned group of pilot plants.
Develop proficiency in applying the Honeywell Operating System (HOS) to area work processes with an emphasis on continuous improvement and rapid problem solving to improve the group’s effectiveness in supporting the development of the latest catalysts, adsorbents, and process technologies. Support all team driven HS&E initiatives.
Job Duties Include:
• Leading process safety modifications for assigned group of pilot plants
• Writing new plant instructions and revising existing plant instructions for assigned group of pilot plants
• Creating PHD/PI trends and process monitoring tools for assigned group of pilot plants
• Ability to occasionally climb ladders
• Occasional lifting and manipulation of bags, samples, and other objects up to 35 pounds may be required
• Handling of chemicals and other hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals is required
• Ability to wear a full-face respirator as well as understanding per OSHA guidelines any facial hair that interferes with the seal of the respirator is not permitted
YOU MUST HAVE
• High School Diploma or GED
• At least 2+ years of experience in a laboratory, manufacturing, or pilot plant environment
• Knowledgeable experience working with hazardous chemicals within a manufacturing environment
• Compliance with HS&E policies and procedures
• Demonstrated proficiency with HOS tools
• Detail oriented, resourceful, and able to work both independently and with support/off-hours staff
• Strong communication skills
• Creative problem solving, troubleshooting, and data analysis skills
• Possess good mechanical aptitude along with intermediate math and computer skills including experience with Excel, Outlook, and Word.
• Previous pilot plant operations experience is preferred
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.