at IFS North America in Itasca, Illinois, United States
The Cloud DBA role in the IFS Managed Cloud team is responsible for the overall delivery of the Oracle Database related pieces of the IFS Managed Cloud for all the applications within the IFS Cloud Suite. Additionally, the role is expected to support the Cloud Solution Architect (CSA) team by providing input and advice to them as they enhance and expand the design of our application services. The Cloud team also supports customers in different continents, which includes NA and the requirement for ITAR compliance.
- ITAR compliant.
- MUST sit in EST time zone
The responsibilities include:
- Daily DB Operations
- Design common processes for the Cloud Service Centre (CSC) and ITAR teams to use in their day to day duties supporting and maintaining our Cloud services.
- Act as an experienced DBA resource to help perform some of those daily duties when the need arises to address issues with client systems
- Act as a final point of escalation for challenging issues with our database services
- Work as needed to support the CSC/ITAR and other teams during investigations and corrective actions during problem management investigations.
- Work with R&D alongside the CSA to provide guidance and feedback to improve the IFS product set in future releases.
- Backup Solutions
- Implement, in conjunction with the CSC & ITAR teams, agreed backup solutions for the IFS Application suite to satisfy our own and our customers’ needs
- Performance Tuning
- Design processes and approaches for the CSC & ITAR teams to manage performance issues in our cloud environments
- Work with the CSA and R&D teams to address performance issues through both short term and long-term methods
- Disaster Recovery
- Implement and test regularly, in conjunction with the CSA, RnD and CSC/ITAR teams, any agreed disaster recovery solutions and ensure the solution suits the needs of IFS and our customers
- Implement appropriate tooling to monitor and manage the database availability within our cloud services.
- Design processes and approaches for the CSC & ITAR teams to manage availability issues in production environments.
- Automation and Tooling
- Work with the CSC, ITAR, CSA and Automation teams to design automation to reduce time and overhead for common tasks wherever possible.
- Training and skills transfer
- Deliver DBA knowledge transfer/training sessions to selected internal teams.
- Experience of implementing and managing critical production systems, especially in the cloud, including a strong awareness of customer-driven priorities and commercial pressures is essential.
- Experience of supporting multi-tenant Oracle databases (CDB/PDB)
- Experience administering Oracle databases (minimum 12c) on Linux and Windows operating systems
- Strong technical experience with performance tuning - AWR/ASH/ADDM/TKPROF/tracing sessions, etc – in a multi-tier architecture
- Good technical experience using OEM for various database administration purposes.
- Strong technical experience with backup/restore – RMAN, data pump export/import.
- Strong technical experience with disaster recovery; dataguard – setup and troubleshooting.
- Experience with database cloning – RMAN active duplicate
- Strong technical experience writing linux shell scripts: bash (knowledge of powershell scripting and windows command also nice to have)
- Technical experience with database upgrades (12c to 19c and above) and patching
- Knowledge of database encryption – row level, backups, etc
- Exposure to 3rd party monitoring systems, e.g. Nagios, Prometheus, ELK
- Exposure to Java driven Cloud/SaaS systems including the following technologies is essential: Oracle WebLogic middleware, Oracle/Apache HTTP Servers, etc.
- Experience working with ticketing systems, such as Service Now, JIRA, etc
- Experience working within a strict change management framework.
- Exposure to DevOps CI/CD tools – GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, etc.
- Knowledge of Container technology – Kubernetes (AKS)
- Basic understanding of Cloud Technologies – Azure, AWS or GCP
The following skills and exposure are not essential but are very useful:
- Knowledge of other database systems – Azure SQL, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.
- Microsoft Azure PaaS (e.g. App Services, SQL Database, Storage, Redis Cache, PostgreSQL), Event Hub, Automation, monitoring, Security Centre.
- Network architectures, especially related to Microsoft Azure (e.g. vNets, NSGs, VPN, ExpressRoute, SSL/TLS certificates, DNS).
- Native Azure monitoring
- DevOps Practices (Terraform, Chef and related tools), and how these are leveraged in design and operations to be able to deliver and support hundreds of instances seamlessly.
- Familiarity with other SaaS Cloud solutions (e.g. Salesforce, Office 365)
- Security principles – encryption, authentication, authorisation, integrity, auditing, pen testing etc – and how these are applied in a cloud environment.
The successful candidate will be ITAR compliant, have a proven track record working with a wide range of teams including operations, R&D, consulting and support services. They will have the ability to engineer solutions for problems, work effectively in an internationally distributed, multi-disciplined team and must be highly self-motivated and proactive, with excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work to deadlines, targets and needs of the role
- Ability to manage own time, efficiently and effectively
- Ability to think with an Engineering/Automation mindset to find solutions to technical problems
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to change approach based on information gathered during the process
- A good team player with a can-do attitude
- Ability to work in international, multi discipline, cross functional teams
- Ability to read and understand technical documentation written in English
- Be proactive and energetic in the work situation, seeking to get things done without constant supervision and at the same time being able to multi-task.
- Ability to self-learn and quickly understand new and changing technologies in a fast-moving cloud world, how and if these changes can be leveraged to improve the solution and the overall impact of these in the technical design and operational delivery.