at Joliet Junior College in Joliet, Illinois, United States
Position Title:Student Employee, Peer Tutor
Job Description:Student Employee, Peer Tutor
POSITION TITLE: Student Employee, Peer Tutor
STATUS: Part time
DEPARTMENT: Tutoring and Learning Center
DIVISION: Student Development
REPORTS TO: Coordinator, Tutoring and Learning Center
MINIMIUM PAY RATE: $12.00 per hour
(Position is FWS Eligible)
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Professionally represent Joliet Junior College and uphold the College's core values.
2. Tutor students using both individual and small group sessions in one or more of the following subject areas: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, English, and/or Math
3. Maintain accurate and timely records of tutoring activities using Academic Success Tracker.
4. Visit instructors, departments, and classrooms to distribute flyers to help create awareness of tutorial services as well as other services offered through the TLC.
5. With assistance from the coordinators, select appropriate instructional support materials recognizing and addressing individual student needs.
6. Participate in staff meetings, in-services, and training as may be required.
7. Assist with receptionist duties as necessary.
8. Assist with light office work including but not limited to the following: keeping the TLC appearance neat at all times, running errands within the campus, preparing materials, filing, photocopying, etc.
9. Assist with promotion and coordination of programs and events.
10. Assist with note-taking duties as necessary.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Must have completed one semester of college-level courses while maintaining a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
3. Must have received an A or B in the subject area to be tutored - preference given to students who have completed three or more courses in the subject area
4. Ability to work a minimum of 10 hours per week
5. TLC Coordinator approval
6. One faculty reference.
7. Excellent customer service skills
8. Ability to communicate effectively with students/faculty.
9. Ability to work with minimum supervision and maintain confidentiality in accordance with FERPA guidelines.
10. Patience, problem-solving abilities, and a willingness to accept responsibility.
11. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
1. Two or more faculty references.
2. Previous work experience.
3. Ability to work in the TLC for at least one full academic year.
4. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
5. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
* Normal office physical demands.
* Duties are performed indoors in the usual office and/or outdoor environment.
* Varies by semester - several student workers hired each semester
Full Time/Part Time:Part time
Union (If Applicable):
Joliet Junior College is committed to maintaining an environment that is safe and free from discrimination, harassment, and misconduct on the basis of sex, which includes sexual orientation or gender-related identity. The College prohibits sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct, stalking, and relationship/dating violence has put measures in place to ensure a safe and healthy educational and employment environment, and meet legal requirements in accordance with: Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in the College's programs or activities; relevant sections of the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act; Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex or sexual orientation, including gender-related identity; and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), which requires timely warning to the community of certain immediate threats.