at Illinois Department of Innovation & Technology in Springfield, Illinois, United States
Job DescriptionJob Responsibilities
25% Under administrative direction, serves as a Wintel Server Administrator, for the Department of Innovation and Technology (DoIT):
- Performs complex professional and advisory functions in the Midrange Wintel/ Infrastructure Services Unit.
- Researches, plans, performs complex installs, implements, configures, documents, maintains, tests, communicates, and coordinates in relationship to hardware, software and operating systems.
- Evaluates and resolves problems.
- Answers calls for more complex issues.
- Develops complex and sophisticated interface functions between software and servers.
- Lifts and carries equipment weighing up to 65 pounds.
- Approves and documents installations and enhancements.
- Coordinates complex enhancements and maintenance with the client.
- Performs provisions, decommissions, and administers and configures virtual servers.
- Travels in performance of duties.
25% Conducts and coordinates in-depth studies involving substantial technical research and systems analysis:
- Develops complex written IT analysis and recommendation documents.
- Develops written implementations plans.
- Provides complex technical assistance to clients and technicians pertaining to hardware, software, and operating systems.
- Conducts reviews of complex components and processes making recommendations for modifications to provide availability, flexibility, and usability for clients.
- Reviews, creates, and modifies current configurations, tables, and programs.
- Utilizes Local Area Networks (LAN), network services, and network communication concepts and principles, including server/client network configurations, routers, routing protocols, switches, firewalls, Virtual Private Network (VPN), and Internet in performance of duties.
- Configures and maintains security requirements on servers.
- Updates existing processes for installs and develops processes on configurations for the software that is installed and implemented.
- Monitors Microsoft file structure including security groups and permissions, Distributed File Shares (DFS), Citrix, Internet Information Services (IIS), and SharePoint.
- Provides monitoring and reporting of software and servers
20% Performs advanced problem diagnostics of complex operating systems and problems:
- Evaluates and resolves problems.
- Monitors connectivity and utilize software to notify of alerts.
- Resolves complex hardware and software problems.
- Performs diagnosis and resolution of system software problems.
- Confers with vendors to resolve software and hardware problems.
- Serves as liaison between agency customers and CMS management and technicians for resolution of customer requirements.
- Monitors trouble tickets to ensure acceptable service levels to agencies within listed time frames are being met.
- Escalates time sensitive trouble calls to appropriate person for faster resolution time.
- Utilizes Microsoft Windows Server Operating Systems, hyper-converged virtual systems, and Active Directory in performance of job duties.
- Works outside of normal business hours to meet deadlines and resolve issues.
20% Serves as project coordinator for full-range major/complex projects, very large hardware/software deployments and installations across multiple agencies and locations:
- Determines and coordinates project components such as project scheduling and assignments.
- Assigns and reviews the work of project analyst staff, provides expertise, guidance and direction to staff, reviews results, and incorporates individual components of project into the final products.
- Travels in the performance of duties.
- Works outside of normal hours to meet deadlines.
5% Keeps abreast of new developments in the Information Technology (IT) field:
- Continues education by attending meetings, training sessions, seminars, and conferences to increase familiarity with and maintain current on IT products, vendors, techniques and procedures
- Attends demonstrations and exhibitions related to assigned operations
- Travels when held off-site.
5% Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above.