at Chapman and Cutler LLP in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Chapman and Cutler LLP is seeking to hire a Practice Support Clerical Assistant to join our Chicago office. The Practice Support Clerical Assistant will work with other administrative and legal professionals in a collegial environment, performing a variety of clerical duties for attorneys and assisting with projects as directed by the Administrative Assistant Supervisor, Chief Support Services Officer and supervising attorneys. The position requires an in-office presence but includes flexibility for some remote work.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Reports to the office in a reliable and punctual manner. Ability to work as part of a team to meet the clerical and administrative requirements of the Firm.
- Provides direct administrative/clerical support for administrative assistants, paraprofessionals, and attorneys, including, but not limited to, time keeping, expense reports, scheduling, photocopying and scanning, blacklining, collating, and preparation of packages/labels/envelopes for mailing.
- Assists with department and matter specific tasks, including facilitating the closing process by creating signature packets, setting up electronic closing rooms, and compiling closing documents and closing sets.
- Works one-on-one with attorneys, paraprofessionals, and administrative assistants for projects that require special or specific instruction and works independently on those tasks as directed.
- Operates standard office equipment. Familiar with standard computer applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Creates and maintains all client and general files. Handles incoming and outgoing mail as necessary.
- Displays competency while learning new tasks and has the ability to ask thoughtful questions in order to complete assignments.
- Exhibits an understanding of how individual tasks affect other long-term projects and the department functioning as a whole.
- Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship; follows Firm and/or practice group guidelines for protecting client information.
- Exhibits an understanding of, and properly utilizes, the Firm’s reference materials, including training materials and internal online information. Complies with the Firm’s policies and procedures.
- Attends scheduled training sessions and utilizes information in daily work production.
- Proofreads material for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors.
- Organizes and prioritizes numerous tasks and completes them under time constraints.
- Assists in any other area of the Firm as assigned.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Previous office experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to use Word, Excel, document management and redlining applications and time keeping programs.
- Commitment to client service and the ability to work independently are critical.
- Attention to detail and timelines; ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills required to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys, and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Committed to following all Firm security protocols and maintaining information security.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume. All applicants will be considered; however, the hiring decision will be based on qualifications for the position.
Chapman and Cutler LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V/SO.