at TRC Engineers LLC in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Employer: TRC Engineers, LLC
Job Title: Commissioning Engineer
Location: This position reports to TRC’s office in Chicago, IL and requires 80% travel and sustained relocation for periods of up to 12 months to project sites within the United States.
Duties: Acts as the responsible Electrical Commissioning Engineer on assigned projects and provides overall project planning, coordination, and supervision of construction, commissioning, and testing activities to ensure compliance with plans and specifications. Interprets complex plans and specifications and ensures all project design requirements are satisfied. Works with the customer and TRC Engineering personnel, inspectors, contractors, and suppliers to resolve construction problems. Plans, performs, and documents the commissioning of control and power circuits to ensure the intended operation and safety of equipment are met. Maintains familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes. Prepares and monitors complex construction and commissioning schedules to ensure timely completion of the work and implements outage and energization plans and detailed commissioning plans. Conducts on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractor methods and evaluates contractor procedures, start and completion times, and staffing requirements for each phase of construction.
Education & Experience Requirements:
Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field (willing to accept foreign education equivalent) plus one (1) year of experience as a Commissioning Engineer (or closely related occupation) performing electrical distribution engineering and field service engineering.
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field (willing to accept foreign education equivalent) plus three (3) years of experience as a Commissioning Engineer (or closely related occupation) performing electrical distribution engineering and field service engineering.
1) Demonstrated Expertise (DE) leveraging the latest industry standards, procedures, and guidelines, including IEEE and NETA, to oversee testing and commissioning of protection and control schemes in various utility substations systems and configurations;
2) DE commissioning of AC and DC schematics, wiring and interconnect drawings, and one-line and three-line diagrams for electrical protection and control systems, including relay communications and Remote Terminal Units;
3) DE leveraging low, medium, and high-voltage substation and power plant equipment, performing apparatus testing, and interpreting test results;
4) DE leveraging voltage and current injection test equipment and models to perform relay and apparatus testing; and,
5) DE troubleshooting electrical circuit design challenges and addressing them according to field conditions.
Apply online at: www.trccompanies.com/careers Job ID# 2023-17741