at Dexter Magnetic Technologies in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, United States
Job DescriptionBasic Purpose and Objective of the Position
Position is responsible for the leadership and management of a team of Systems Engineers that serve as technical lead for all new product designs from initial customer inquiry through production. Develops and manages team and individual KPIs. Provides Systems Engineering leadership and guidance across the organization especially within the New Product Introduction (NPI) team. Supports the team in evaluating commercial opportunities and overseeing product development from conception to design transfer. Owner of NPI Stage Gate process. Participates actively in company strategic initiatives.Major Responsibilities – reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Build and manage a team of Systems Engineers that will support strategic goals. Recruit, hire and develop talent to support R&D team goals. Assign and manage task execution across the team. Provide training and development opportunities for the team.
- Lead team of Systems Engineers responsible for a portfolio of NPI projects. The team will:
- Serve as the technical lead for new product introductions ensuring that design inputs comprehensively cover the user needs for each project:
- As technical lead ensure that design inputs are considered through each step of the NPI Stage Gate process.
- Analyze requested engineered solutions for possible solution paths using technical knowledge and experience.
- Problem solves gaps and redesign. Implement mistake-proofing concepts to prevent product defects.
- As necessary, complete design activities, red-line customer drawings, and/or perform technical analysis in support of development efforts.
- Oversee verification and validation activities to ensure that all design outputs meet the requirements of the design inputs.
- Responsible for cost estimation activities in support of business development opportunities and NPI quote requests:
- Assist in determining strategy to overcome competitive situations.
- Accompany the sales or executive team on customer visits to support Dexter’s value proposition.
- Works with CRM and ERP systems to assess technical risk of each commercial opportunity, create top level part structures, and create quotes with all relevant information.
- Assist or lead in negotiations with customers regarding unrealistic or unfeasible requirements or expectations.
- Interpret and evaluate customer requirements (user needs), and work with Sales function to communicate technical information back and forth to the customer.
- Develop and manage your team’s KPIs. Monthly, investigate and provide root cause analysis when KPIs are not met. Implement approved corrective actions.
- Ownership of all engineering Quality Management System (QMS) procedures and interfaces with CRM and ERP systems.
- Leads and Manages Document Control team
- Provides face-to-face Systems Engineering expertise for visits to high-value and high-profile customers.
- Stays abreast of current developments in product development.
- Proactively looks for opportunities to utilize new or existing product development concepts.
- Assists with special projects and perform other related duties as assigned.
- Participate actively in company strategic initiatives.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required; preferred fields of study are: Mechanical, Aerospace, or Biomedical Engineering
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering Management, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Biomedical Engineering preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years leading teams in the R & D environment. Proven record of successful launch of complex product developments and success solving complex mechanical problems.
- Minimum of 3 years working with QMS design control processes in regulated industries such as Aerospace/Defense or Medical.
- Minimum of 3 years working directly with customers and commercial teams to identify project opportunities and building statements of work, quotes, or other requirements documentation.
- Knowledge of magnetic products a plus.
Successful Essential Skills
- Communication – is able to send a message clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles. Must be able to interact and effectively communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization. Can create open channels of communication, adapt message to fit audience, express ideas clearly and concisely, keep others well-informed, listen carefully to input and feedback.
- Project Management – ability to take a problem statement through a rigorous process and closure, adding value to the organization.
- Quality Expertise – always learning about the profession and continuously keeping abreast of new trends, tools, techniques, regulations, and requirements.
- Excellent problem solving skills: uses rigorous logic and methods to solve problems producing effective solutions to problem statements.
- Excellent time management skills: concentrating effort on priorities and overall planning, awareness, and response to what is due now, short- and long-term.
- High level of business acumen: Understands policies, practices, technology, trends, and information and how those affect the business; including written communication.