at Illinois Department of Innovation & Technology in Springfield, Illinois, United States
Are you looking for a rewarding career with an organization that values their staff? The Department of Innovation & Technology (DoIT) is seeking to hire qualified candidates with the opportunity to work in a dynamic, creative thinking, problem solving environment. This position serves as a DB2 Systems Administrator performing complex professional and advisory functions in Mainframe DB2 Systems Software. This position researches, plans, installs, implements, configures, documents, maintains, communicates and coordinates DB2 System Software and operating systems utilizing DB2 Relational Database Management Systems software, DB2 Connect or tools on IBM z/OS and distributed platforms. Apply today to join the DoIT team!
As a State of Illinois employee, you receive a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Competitive Group Insurance benefits including health, life, dental and vision plans
- Flexible work schedules (when available and dependent upon position)
- 10 -25 days of paid vacation time annually (10 days for first year of state employment)
- 12 days of paid sick time annually which carryover year to year
- 3 paid personal business days per year
- 13-14 paid holidays per year dependent on election years
- 12 weeks of parental leave
- Pension plan through the State Employees Retirement System
- Deferred Compensation Program – voluntary supplemental retirement plan
- Optional pre-tax programs -Medical Care Assistance Plan (MCAP) & Dependent Care Assistant Plan (DCAP)
- Tuition Reimbursement Program and Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program eligibility
For more information regarding State of Illinois Benefits follow this link: https://www2.illinois.gov/cms/benefits/Pages/default.aspxJob Responsibilities
25% Under administrative direction, serves as a Database 2 (DB2) System Administrator for the Department of Innovation & Technology (DoIT):
- Performs complex professional and advisory functions in Mainframe DB2 Systems Software.
- Researches, plans, installs, implements, configures, documents, maintains, communicates and coordinates DB2 System Software and operating systems utilizing DB2 Relational Database Management Systems software, DB2 Connect or tools on IBM z/OS and distributed platforms.
- Installs generates system, configurations, tests and implements software, hardware, and z/OS operating systems for DB2 System Software.
- Develops complex and sophisticated interface functions between DB2 software and mainframe servers.
- Approves and documents installations and enhancements.
- Coordinates complex enhancements and maintenance with agency clients.
- Utilizes z/VM, z/OS, z/Linux or similar in performance of job duties.
- Utilizes TSO, ISPF, SMP/E, JCL, utility programs, VSAM, access methods, TCP/IP, problem resolution, software installation, security, and audits in performance of job duties.
25% Conducts and coordinates in-depth studies involving substantial technical research and systems analysis:
- Develops complex written mainframe system analysis and recommendation documents.
- Develops written implementation plans.
- Provides complex technical assistance to clients and technicians pertaining to software and operating systems.
- Conducts reviews of complex components and processes making recommendations for modifications to provide availability, flexibility, and usability for clients.
- Reviews, creates, and modifies current configurations, tables, and programs.
- Configures and maintains security requirements on network servers.
- Updates existing processes for installations and develops processes on configuration for software installed and implemented.
- Provides monitoring and reporting of software and servers.
- Utilizes an understanding of mainframe network concepts, network communication concepts and principles, including server/client network configurations, routers, routing protocols, switches, firewalls, VPN, and Internet.
20% Performs diagnostics, evaluates, and resolves complex operating system problems:
- Monitors connectivity and utilizes software to notify of alerts and issues.
- Resolves complex hardware and software problems.
- Performs diagnostics and resolution of system software problems.
- Responds to calls for assistance regarding the more complex situations.
- Confers with vendors to resolve software and hardware problems.
- Serves as liaison between agency customers and CMS management and technicians for resolution of customer requirements.
- Monitors trouble tickets to ensure acceptable service levels to agencies within listed time frames are being met.
- Escalates time sensitive trouble calls to senior staff and/or appropriate vendor for faster resolution time.
15% Serves as project coordinator for full-range major/complex projects:
- Coordinates large hardware/software deployments and installations, documentation, testing and implementation of complex vendor supplied software systems across multiple agencies and locations:
- Determines and coordinates project components such as project scheduling and assignments.
- Assigns and reviews the work of project analyst staff.
- Provides expertise, guidance, and direction to staff.
- Reviews results and incorporates individual components of project into the final product.
- Interprets policies, procedures, standards, and methodologies for project team members.
- Develops written IT standards, methods, procedures, and forms to implement and improve various systems.
- Provides status reports to supervisor as specified.
10% Stays informed of new developments in the Db2 and mainframe systems fields:
- Continues education by attending meetings, training sessions, seminars, and conferences to increase familiarity with and maintain current on IT products, vendors, techniques, and procedures.
- Attends demonstrations and exhibitions related to assigned operations.
5% Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above.