at Illinois Department of Innovation & Technology in Springfield, Illinois, United States
Job DescriptionJob Responsibilities
35% Under administrative direction performs complex, professional advisory and technical functions for Local Area Network (LAN) Services supporting multiple statewide applications:
- Troubleshoots and resolves complex network issues reported by customers and monitoring systems
- Confers with customers in high stress situations to troubleshoot complex systems, end-user communication problems, and network hardware and software problems utilizing various utilities and diagnostic tools such as network monitoring systems including but not limited to: Fluke Cable Systems, Cisco Prime, OpManager and Netscout traffic analyzers
- Recommends actions to prevent further occurrences of the problem/issue
- Monitors trouble tickets to ensure Service Level Agreements are providing break/fix services to agencies within listed time frames are being met
- Escalates time sensitive trouble calls to senior staff and/or appropriate vendor for faster resolution time
- Serves on an on-call basis in emergency situations
- Utilizes Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol, Quality of Service, VLAN design, DNS/DHCP, Network Security, and Network Diagnostic and Management Tool Integration (Traffic analyzers) Sniffers in performance of duties.
25% Meets with users to determine layout and specifications to design, develop and modify complex network communications, including various LAN components such as routers, switches, wireless access points, cabling, etc.:
- Assumes accountability of associated work products within the statewide network.
- Prepares and presents network proposals to customers and management including hardware and software requirements and associated agency costs
- Performs complex design and configuration planning to establish and maintain network communications
- Determines hardware, software, and bandwidth needs, develops, documents, and implements agency standards to proactively resolve future problems
- Develops Network Diagrams/Maps and flow charts in Microsoft Visio and uses network discovery tools to keep Network Diagrams up to date
- Conducts tests and prepares analytical reviews of various settings in a complex LAN environment
- Researches, analyzes, conducts, and coordinates in-depth documented studies related to network communication with recommendations to management in support of procurement and development efforts
- Develops, implements, and maintains change control for modifications, incident responses and detailed architecture documentation and testing procedures for management of the network environment.
25% Performs complex hardware and software staging and installation:
- Tests and maintains LAN switches, routers, and wireless access devices, including physical installation and configuration of equipment
- Maintains firmware and software levels to vendor recommended levels
- Perform wireless surveys
- Reviews and performs vendor recommendations for upgrades
- Travels to various locations to setup and install hardware and software
- Lifts, loads, unloads and carries equipment weighing up to 30 pounds needed for installation
10% Keeps abreast of new developments in the Information Technology (IT) field:
- Continues education by attending meetings, training sessions, seminars, and conferences to increase familiarity with and maintain current on IT products, vendors, techniques and procedures applicable to Section activities
- Confers with vendors, executives, and other IT professionals to understand the latest technologies and recommend ways to implement them within the infrastructure
5% Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of duties enumerated above.