at MAXIMUS in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Medical Office Assistant – Veterans Evaluation Services
Maximus is currently hiring for Medical Office Assistant(s) in our Oak Park, IL offices to support our Veterans Evaluation Services (VES) team. The Medical Office Assistant will be responsible for assisting providers and veterans on exam days in any manner needed, general problem solving in a solutions-oriented manner for both providers and veterans, and updating case statuses as available. The ideal candidate possess the desire to assist our wounded veterans with a caring, positive, and patriotic attitude.
Job Description Summary
Clinic Intake Specialists supporting the Veterans Evaluation Services (administered by Maximus) make an impact everyday by assisting providers and veterans on exam days in any manner needed. Primary responsibilities include general problem solving in a solutions-oriented manner for both providers and veterans as well as update case statuses as available. Candidates must possess the desire to assist our wounded veterans with a caring, positive, and patriotic attitude. To prepare you for this role, the VES provides paid, comprehensive training which ensures our specialists care for each Veteran with the highest levels of kindness, knowledge and professionalism.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform all job functions in compliance with HIPAA policies.
- Adhere to local and externally relevant health and safety laws and policies.
- Gather and provide necessary information to providers; may include gathering forms, documents, and vital signs necessary to the evaluation.
- Provide a high level of customer service by greeting and directing all visitors, answering inquiries, confirming contact and appointment information, and otherwise facilitating a positive experience.
- Document all actions taken and other pertinent information as it relates to veteran and provider interaction.
- Clean exam rooms between each appointment and otherwise maintain stock and cleanliness of clinic throughout the day.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Prior Medical or Customer Service experience is preferred.
Education and Experience Requirements
* Arrive 30 minutes prior to scheduled exam
* Display snacks/water/flags/veteran material in the provider’s waiting area and post VES signs in the door
* Greet each veteran immediately, obtain medical history, any diagnostic results or medical records and provide sign in sheet
* Provide information to the providers (worksheets/HX forms/day/face sheets), and assist with vitals (weight, height, blood pressure)
* Document and update OMS comments for everything you do pertaining to veterans and providers
* Keep all veteran’s information private and confidential
* Assist the veteran in any way needed
* Always be courteous and respectful
* Adhere to local and externally relevant health and safety laws and policies
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
* Maintain cleanliness of the clinic/per-diem and exam rooms
* Frequently utilizes computer, telephone, e-mail and e-fax
* Communicate and assist other departments in a collaborative effort to expedite cases
* Work effectively within a team dynamic
* Adapt to new instructions, requests or procedures as provided
* Maintain a high sense of urgency at all times
* High School diploma or general education degree (GED) required
* Valid driver’s license required
* One to two years training and/or certification in the medical field preferred
* CPR certified preferred
* Intermediate knowledge of pertinent medical terminology
* Advanced verbal and interpersonal skills
* Advanced written communication skills, to include excellent grammar
* Advanced reading and comprehension abilities
* Advanced analytical skills and detail-oriented
* Advanced multi-tasking skills
* Advanced organizational and prioritization skills, with strong ability to meet strict deadlines
* Proficient typing skills
* Proficient with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, general internet research, and beginner knowledge of Microsoft Excel
* Must be willing and able to travel to other clinics in the Central region
* Must be willing and able to work weekend shifts (Saturday and Sunday)
* Must live in or near Oak Park, IL
Since 1975, Maximus has operated under its founding mission of Helping Government Serve the People, enabling citizens around the globe to successfully engage with their governments at all levels and across a variety of health and human services programs.
EEO Statement: Active military service members, their spouses, and veteran candidates often embody the core competencies Maximus deems essential, and bring a resiliency and dependability that greatly enhances our workforce. We recognize your unique skills and experiences, and want to provide you with a career path that allows you to continue making a difference for our country. We’re proud of our connections to organizations dedicated to serving veterans and their families. If you are transitioning from military to civilian life, have prior service, are a retired veteran or a member of the National Guard or Reserves, or a spouse of an active military service member, we have challenging and rewarding career opportunities available for you. A committed and diverse workforce is our most important resource. Maximus is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Maximus provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disabled status.
Maximus compensation is based on various factors including but not limited to job location, a candidate's education, training, experience, expected quality and quantity of work, required travel (if any), external market and internal value analysis including seniority and merit systems, as well as internal pay alignment. Annual salary is just one component of Maximus's total compensation package. Other rewards may include short- and long-term incentives as well as program-specific awards. Additionally, Maximus provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off. Compensation ranges may differ based on contract value but will be commensurate with job duties and relevant work experience. An applicant's salary history will not be used in determining compensation. Maximus will comply with regulatory minimum wage rates and exempt salary thresholds in all instances.