at Joliet Junior College in Joliet, Illinois, United States
Position Title:Adjunct Faculty, Chemistry
Job Description:POSITION: Adjunct Faculty, Chemistry
STATUS: Part time
DEPARTMENT: Natural Science/Physical Education
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
UNION: Adjunct Faculty
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Placement on salary schedule is dependent on qualifications.
MINIMUM PAY RATE: Qualifications include education and related work experience.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Adapt to new and changing situations and demonstrate a positive attitude.
Demonstrate respect for students; understand learning styles and apply understanding to institution-related activities; demonstrate integrity and promote diversity and open communications. Course assignments may be late afternoon, evening, Saturday, and at branch campuses or satellite centers. Position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet United Adjuncts Coalition contract.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach one course in Fundamentals of Chemistry, General Chemistry sequence courses and other chemistry courses as needed within the Natural Science/Physical Education Department.
2. Work closely with other instructors and special programs and services within the college to determine placements, curriculum, and academic support.
3. Be willing to teach online and/or blended courses.
4. Demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and learning.
5. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence
6. Teach at other campus sites as needed.
7. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet United Adjuncts Coalition contract.
1. Master's Degree in Chemistry or a closely related field is required.
2. One (1) years of teaching experience at the collegiate level.
1. Doctoral Degree in Chemistry, or closely related field is preferred.
2. Experience at the community college level.
3. Expertise in appropriate technologies for instruction.
4. Experience in teaching online and/or using course management programs.
5. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
6. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
7. Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds.
Normal classroom and laboratory physical demands.
Classroom and laboratory teaching environment.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Apply on-line at
PRIORITY CONSIDERATION DATE
Full Time/Part Time:Part time
Union (If Applicable):
Joliet Junior College is committed to maintaining an environment that is safe and free from discrimination, harassment, and misconduct on the basis of sex, which includes sexual orientation or gender-related identity. The College prohibits sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct, stalking, and relationship/dating violence has put measures in place to ensure a safe and healthy educational and employment environment, and meet legal requirements in accordance with: Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in the College's programs or activities; relevant sections of the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act; Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex or sexual orientation, including gender-related identity; and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), which requires timely warning to the community of certain immediate threats.