at Alvarez & Marsal Tax, LLC in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Manager, Retirement Plan and Benefits Consultant
Alvarez & Marsal ("A&M") is a leading independent global professional services firm, specializing in providing compensation and benefits consulting services, corporate advisory services including tax advisory, turnaround management and performance improvement. With more than 7,000 professionals globally, our firm excels in problem solving and value creation. Drawing on a strong operational heritage and hands-on-approach, our professionals work closely with organizations and stakeholders to help tackle complex business issues and maximize value.
The Compensation and Benefits group provides a full range of compensation and benefit services and solutions including: Internal Revenue Code compliance for retirement plans and executive compensation, M&A, due diligence, operational reviews and enhancements, and compensation benchmarking analysis.
This firm is seeking an ambitious, career-driven Manager-level professional who is looking for an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment where teamwork is an integral part of our everyday practice. As part of the team, you will be responsible for work on a variety of consulting projects focusing on qualified retirement plans.
- Provide consulting expertise to clients on matters such as plan design, merger and acquisition activity, fiduciary responsibility, and operational compliance
- Conduct complex nondiscrimination testing for qualified retirement plans, including issues related to complex controlled groups with multiple qualified plans
- Assist in the identification of compliance issues in qualified retirement plans, calculate corrections and draft submissions for the IRS and DOL correction programs
- Perform tax research and draft summaries of conclusions
- Review the calculations and work product of peers for accuracy and reasonableness, serving as a thorough reviewer of data and results, and draft correspondence to clients
- Interpreting and applying laws, regulations, judicial precedent and other guidance
- Draft memoranda detailing the application of complex tax and ERISA provisions
- Review work of project team
Education and experiences:
- Bachelor's Degree required; Juris Doctor, Masters in Tax, licensed CPA, or specialty compensation and benefits certification preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience working with technical issues regarding qualified retirement plans
- Experience in a management role
- Strong PC skills, including Microsoft Office applications, especially Microsoft Excel
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Must be able to take active role as part of a team
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong ability to explain complicated concepts in an understandable manner to a variety of audiences
- Capacity to learn quickly and willingness to try new things
- Flexibility to engage concurrently on multiple complex projects
Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity