at City of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois, United States
GENERAL FOREMAN OF GENERAL TRADESJob Number:387034
General Foreman of General Trades
Department of Assets, Information and Services
Number of Positions: 1
This position is open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City's collective bargaining agreement with the CARPENTERS DISTRICT COUNCIL (Bargaining Unit 50). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid.
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled "Currently employed by the City of Chicago"
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled 'payee/employee number')
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
The City of Chicago's Department of Assets, Information and Services to direct work operations of a large staff of skilled trades and craft personnel in various disciplines and managing large scale construction projects and activities relating to the maintenance of City building structures and facilities and transportation infrastructure, and performs related duties as required.
* Direct a large work force of skilled trades across various disciplines including carpenters and plumbers, through the direct supervision of Foreman
* Manages construction activities for capital improvement projects involving the modification, renovation, or rehabilitation of City facilities
* Directs skilled trades personnel across disciplines including electricians and steamfitters, laborers and other staff engaged in various phases of construction work, ensuring that safe construction methods and procedures are followed and quality standards are met
* Consults with client departments to gather information on project requirements; conducts site surveys to assess scope of planned projects and prepares sketches, work plans and time estimates for project completion
* Prepare cost estimates and operating budgets for projects including skilled trade and laborer services needed and schedule and sequence of work, creating timelines and completion dates
* Prepare cost estimates of laborer services needed for scheduled construction, maintenance, and repair projects, working with management personnel to meet department's objectives, priorities and performance measures
* Confers with professional engineers and architects for remodeling or rehab projects requiring design services, construction drawings or specifications or specialized work
* Authorizes and approves the requisitioning of work materials, supplies and equipment to complete work projects; monitors and approves overtime; monitors progress and ensures projects remain within budget
* Works with management in developing and establishing performance measures, and productivity and quality standards; conducts field inspections to assess compliance with standards
* Uses Microsoft Project, Excel software and related software in preparing and maintaining records relating to planning, scheduling, and monitoring of projects and related reports
* Monitors and evaluates work performance of subordinate staff and prepares performance appraisals; reviews accident and injury reports: initiates and enforces disciplinary actions: enforces departmental work rules and City's personnel rules
* Performs related duties as assigned
Location:1869 West Pershing Road
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
* Successful completion of a US Department of Labor registered carpentry apprenticeship training program and journeyman status, plus six years of journey level carpentry experience, of which three years are in a supervisory role related to the responsibilities of the position, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
* A valid State of Illinois driver's license is required
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Project and Microsoft Excel software highly desirable
* General office environment
* Exposure to outdoor weather conditions
* Exposure to hazardous conditions (e.g., construction sites, heavy machinery)
This position requires applicants to complete an interview.The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
*Relevant supervisory experience
*Proficiency in Microsoft Word
*Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
*Proficiency in EAM (Enterprise Asset Management)
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago... For full info follow application link.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer