at Illinois Department of Innovation & Technology in Springfield, Illinois, United States
30% Subject to management approval, serves as the Assistant Bureau Chief for the Department of Innovation & Technology (DoIT) supporting Illinois State Police (ISP):
- Manages all infrastructure related functions of a large data processing operation utilizing Mainframe and Midrange based server technologies and facilitated across a state-wide telecommunications network supporting all state and local law enforcement agencies to provide for officer and public safety.
- Participates in all aspects of the Bureau of Infrastructure Services, including personnel, fiscal, budget and information technology resources to accomplish the Agency’s goals and objectives as established by project, policy, or programs.
- Provides input into Bureau budget management and control processes to ensure all requests are justified and integrate with the long-range goals of the Department.
- Evaluates, recommends, and approves procurement business cases, project charters, project initiation forms, Basic Order Agreements (BOA) and other project-oriented documents.
25% Manages Bureau functions, activities and operations including, but not limited to:
- Network Management (server, workstation, network connectivity, and mobile device installation support and maintenance).
- Security (Database administration, RACF, PKI, Intrusion Detection, SPAM).
- Mainframe (installation, support, and maintenance of the device(s) and supporting software).
- Operations (integrated help desk, batch/on-line operations, application production support).
- Illinois Wireless Information Network (IWIN) (mobile device installation, support, and maintenance for ISP IWIN users).
20% Implements and evaluates goals and objectives for the bureau, with the strategic direction of the Division and Department, and consistent with industry accepted recommendations and best practices in terms of sophistication of equipment systems, and service levels for all users:
- Establishes policy for the bureau to gain optimal policy, project, and program goals for all staff.
- Chairs bureau and staff meetings in the absence of the Bureau Chief.
10% Serves as full line supervisor:
- Assigns and reviews work.
- Provides guidance and training to assigned staff.
- Counsels staff regarding work performance.
- Reassigns staff to meet day to day operating needs.
- Establishes annual goals and objectives; approves time off.
- Adjusts first level grievances.
- Effectively recommends and imposes discipline, up to and including discharge.
- Prepares and signs performance evaluations.
5% Analyzes bureau resources allocated by policy, projects, programs and work requests:
- Makes recommendations relating to allocation of staff resources, equipment, and other needs to accomplish Department goals
- Monitors priorities and schedules ensuring resolution of possible conflicts for work assigned.
- Maintains knowledge in industry best practices relative to information technology techniques to optimize services to internal and external customers.
5% Keeps abreast of new developments in the Information Technology (IT) field:
- Continues education by attending meetings, training sessions, seminars, and conferences to increase familiarity with and maintain current on IT products, vendors, techniques, and procedures.
- Attends demonstrations and exhibitions related to assigned operations.
5% Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of duties enumerated above.