at Illinois Department of Innovation & Technology in Springfield, Illinois, United States
25% Serves as designated lead worker for the Administrative Production Control Unit within the Department of Innovation & Technology (DoIT):
- Assigns and reviews work.
- Provides guidance and training to assigned staff.
- Advises immediate supervisor regarding staff work performance and provides input into performance evaluations.
20% Under direction, serves as Production Control Lead reviewing new computer systems and applications extensively to determine acceptability to be run in a production mode:
- Performs detailed analysis of process documentation, system flows, process flows, narratives, informational sheets, report distribution forms and Job Control Language (JCL) packages to ensure conformity to established standards.
- Reviews the new systems / applications to ensure compatibility with current system hardware and software.
- Maintains logs, control documents and online records according to procedures.
- Devises operating techniques to maximize production.
- Advises immediate supervisor of staffing issues or needs.
- Monitors production activity and provides direction to staff.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of 24-hour master schedule to ensure proper coding is in place for the scheduling of jobs/schedules for production processing.
- Reviews job schedule to ensures jobs are scheduled in proper sequence and priority.
15% Confers with Information Management and Development staff and Technical Services staff relative to suggested system and documentation modifications:
- Provides suggestions to improve application / system design.
- Evaluates changes to existing applications / systems to determine if modifications will achieve desired end results.
- Reviews job control language (JCL) listings, output summaries, failure codes and other pertinent information.
- Initiates appropriate corrective action in the event of an incomplete run due to data, software or hardware problem.
- Interfaces and manipulates mainframe computer systems components
- Serves in a 24-hour availability capacity for production problems.
- Uses PCs and the LAN to access tools including but not limited to Bluezone, TSO/ISPF, CA-Scheduler and/or ZEKE / ZEBB, Document Direct/Mobius, Visio, Microsoft Office Suite, Job Control Language and Operating System commands to create, modify and monitor the production job schedule.
- Produces production logs and statistical reports utilizing Word Processing and Spreadsheet software.
15% Monitors existing production systems to determine functions as originally intended and all documentation is current and in place:
- Develops problem definition reports and submits to Information Management and Development when undocumented system modifications are discovered or when problems are identified which need corrective action.
- Provides input to Information Management and Development and Technical Services relative to revisions needed to existing documentation or JCL packets.
10% Performs job staging and de-staging activities by verifying JCL listings for successful job completion:
- Identifies and analyzes error/abend codes and resolves problems.
- Verifies proper code is utilized to produce desired results.
- Implements overrides to the JCL and supplies the proper corrective action/restart parameter information to the jobs for abend resolution to achieve successful completions.
- Uses online view and report distribution software, such as, Document Direct/Mobius for research and analysis work for batch processing.
10% Assists in production planning and makes recommendations for development and implementation of software or procedures to improve scheduling and resource utilization:
- Works closely with unit supervisor on all special projects.
- Assists fellow workers and programming staff in the resolution of Job Control Language errors.
5% Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of duties enumerated above.