at Michael Baker International in Chicago, Illinois, United States
WHO WE ARE
Michael Baker International is a leading provider of architectural, engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, environmental, construction and program management. The company provides its comprehensive range of services and solutions to support U.S. federal, state, and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker's more than 3,000 employees across nearly 100 locations are committed to a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve challenges for clients and communities throughout the country. To learn more, visit https://mbakerintl.com/.
RAILROAD & TRANSIT PRACTICE
Whether moving people or freight, future rail and transit solutions will be determined by energy prices, a shift toward urban living and growing environmental concerns. Michael Baker helps freight, authority and state Department of Transportation clients meet these modern challenges by providing services that address key industry issues such as state of good repair, capacity, safety, community livability, asset management and maintenance, planning and development for new projects, and the promotion of environmental stewardship and sustainability.
We provide value by first understanding our clients' needs, then working with them as a partner to identify innovative and cost-effective solutions that optimize their opportunities for success.
Michael Baker International is seeking a Technical Manager I to join our Rail and Transit team. The successful candidate will be part of a young and dynamic group of rail professionals with the opportunity to have a technical leadership role in the practice. This position will focus on the track engineering and infrastructure side of rail transportation projects and will require close coordination with the technical staff dispersed within Michael Baker International's various offices. The Technical Manager I will prepare, direct and manage layouts of railroad track alignments for both transit and freight rail within rail/transit and multi-discipline teams. They will also mentor staff engineers, help to grow and develop the Rail and Transit practice, potential to participate in marketing existing clients and growing new clients, and potential to have a contributing role in the rail and transit leadership organization.
- Design, direct, and/or manage rail-related components of passenger rail, freight rail and commuter rail projects
- Develop and oversee the design of track alignments, including special track work such as turnouts, crossovers and diamond crossings
- Prepare and/or review geometric details of track alignments including horizontal and vertical curve data
- Prepare and/or direct detailed engineering plans using the various Bentley software products (MicroStation, InRail and OpenRail)
- Play an integral part in the development and review of plans, specifications and cost estimates for Rail Design projects
- Assist on large multi-disciplinary design teams and lead younger staff on a variety of project tasks
- Execute engineering investigations including feasibility and type studies with cost and risk analysis
- Perform track inspections and other site inspections during construction and maintenance projects to determine if they are within tolerance levels established by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), AREMA, and other applicable regulations
- Coordinate with multiple disciplines for conformance to design criteria, standards and code requirements
Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity