at Byline Bank in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Job DescriptionThe Legal Counsel – Litigation is responsible for advising on, managing, and handling litigation cases and pre-litigation disputes, developing company policies, and safeguarding against legal risks. This role provides guidance on various legal matters in different areas of law, including Commercial Lending, Consumer, Human Resources, and Fraud and ensures compliance with laws and regulations. They may advise on a wide range of cases, from simple disputes with retail or business customers, to complex commercial litigation or class action lawsuits.
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Handles, manages, and provides strategic advice for disputes and litigation matters across Byline Bank’s various lines of business and at both the corporate and holding-company levels.
- Supports the bank in anticipating and mitigating potential legal risks.
- Works closely with the bank’s business units to resolve disputes and litigation matters.
- Monitors litigation cases handled by, and works with, outside counsel.
- Becomes familiar with the litigation cases and drafts the quarterly litigation log to be presented to the Audit Committee and external auditors.
- Assists the business units in the production of information for discovery.
- Prepares witnesses for court appearances and depositions.
- Advises on the need to implement litigation holds and supports the bank’s subpoena processing team.
- Negotiates with opposing counsel to reach settlement agreements.
- Works with the Fraud team on fraud claims regarding the accounts and transactions in accounts.
- Provides training to employees in connection with risk mitigation and litigation matters.
- Joins outside counsel in mediation and settlement negotiations.
- Monitors relevant legislation, regulation, and supervisory guidance; assesses impact to the Bank; and partners with relevant business stakeholders to coordinate Bank responses and/or implementation strategies.
- All other duties as assigned.
- J.D. required; graduate from an accredited law school; active Illinois law license.
- 7+ years as an experienced litigator at a law firm or financial institution; financial services related litigation is a plus.
- Highest ethical standards and integrity.
- Superb verbal and written communication, negotiation, research, organizational and analytical skills.
- Detail-oriented and results-driven team player.
- Adept at communicating with people of diverse ethnic and social backgrounds, as they will typically be conversing with witnesses, experts, judges, law enforcement officers and other lawyers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows suite (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Knowledge of UCC Articles 3, 4, 4A and NACHA helpful but not required.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.If you require a reasonable accommodation, during any part of the application process, please contact the human resources department to let us know the nature of your request at email@example.com by contacting 773.475.2900.
Usual office environment with frequent sitting, walking, and standing, and occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing. Frequent use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of office equipment. Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices.
Byline Bank offers competitive industry rate salary bands with the goal of retaining and growing talented individuals. We regularly review and adjust our compensation structure as needed to ensure equity across teams and levels.
The salary range for this position is $115,000 to $135,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Byline Bank offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with Byline Bank, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.