at Illinois Department of Innovation & Technology in Springfield, Illinois, United States
30% 1.Under administrative direction, serves as a Database Administrator for the Department of Innovation & Technology (DoIT) supporting the Illinois State Police (ISP):
- Performs and evaluates Data Base Management Systems (DBMS) software installation and maintenance, database design, database maintenance, database security and administration of all relational databases developed under the installed database management systems, including application and system level
- Conducts complex in-depth studies and provides technical assistance to management on the installation, testing, and evaluation of Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) software technologies including, but not limited to Oracle and SQL Server
20% 3. Makes recommendations and provides technical assistance to management on the installation, testing and evaluation of RDBMS software and technologies:
- Installs, tests new releases, applies patches, determines problems, and obtains vendor technical support assistance when necessary
- Works closely with the Systems Software staff and Storage Manager to ensure related upgrades and patches to the software are possible and the efforts of each unit are fully coordinated.
15% 5. Monitors database performance by checking response times, thoroughly testing new database designs, and changing database organization structure or placement:
- Serves on call and works outside normal scheduled work hours to guarantee operational status, answer questions and resolve problems for users, other technical staff, and the help desk personnel.
- Maintains current on information technology products, vendors, techniques, and procedures.
5% 6. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field relational databases:
- Continues education by attending meetings, training sessions, seminars, and conferences to increase familiarity with and maintain current on products, vendors, techniques, and procedures.
- Attends demonstrations and exhibitions related to assigned operations.
- Travels when held off-site.
5% 7. Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of duties enumerated above.