at Illinois Department of Innovation & Technology in Springfield, Illinois, United States
25% 1. Under immediate supervision, serves as a Help Desk Technician for the Department of Innovation & Technology (DoIT) supporting the Illinois State Police (ISP):
- Participates in the application and use of mainframe and personal computing devices.
- Monitors and coordinates data transmission between the mainframe and local area network (LAN)
- Participates in the coordination, control and analysis of the overall system functions and network.
- Participates in the support of all Information Technology (IT) equipment for ISP
- Assists in providing diagnostic functions for problems reported to the Integrated Technical Help desk (ITHD).
- Provides proactive surveillance of the information technology networks.
- Works with users, vendors, systems analysts, programmer analysts, and technical staff to diagnose problems.
- Initiates problem determination and documents problems in tracking software.
- Provides assistance to users and documents problem resolution.
- Assists users in complex back-up and recovery procedures.
- Performs functions associated with tape library maintenance.
- Operates and diagnoses problems relating to computer peripheral and non-peripheral equipment.
20% 2.Assists in the diagnosis of problems reported to the ITHD and contacts the proper vendor, system analyst, programmer analyst and support personnel depending on the problem:
- Uses hardware and software diagnostic resources available to perform monitoring and troubleshooting of Wide Area Network (WAN) and Local Area network (LAN) resources and associated devices.
- Participates in the coordination of activities and acts as liaison between the vendor, network user, system analysts, programmer analysts and other support staff.
- Coordinates repair activities until the problem is resolved and escalates unresolved problems to ISP management and vendors to meet performance goals.
- Performs pro-active surveillance of the ISP network and related peripheral equipment using real time network monitors and system generated alerts or alarms.
- Responds to problems identified and improves or restores service to the user to ensure 24 hours a day, 7 days a week network availability.
- Corrects or updates information in multiple databases
- Restores circuits, keeps detailed records of events during outages and records detailed problem resolution.
20% 3.Assists higher level systems services staff:
- Recognizes, evaluates, resolves and documents problems reported by ISP users related to LEADS/CHF and NCIC data files, such as rejects on record maintenance for LEADS/CHF, inaccurate NCIC data follow-up, network or line problems, terminal or printer problems and use of software authorized and supported by the ISP ITHD Support team.
- Tracks, evaluates, and reports problem trends to supervisor
15% 4.Assists the designated lead worker in reviewing and tracking work assignments:
- Closes and restarts systems
- Analyzes and solves complex production and teleprocessing problems.
- Establishes job production order and returns based on master schedule.
10% 5.Enforces security procedures as outlined in the Data Center policy and Procedures manual and system security through the re-setting of user passwords and IDs.
- Documents and reports any deviations found.
- Monitors access to secure areas of Data Center and accompanies non-ISP employees in the Data Center.
5% 6.Keeps abreast of new developments in the Information Technology (IT) field:
- Continues education by attending meetings, training sessions, seminars, and conferences to increase familiarity with and maintain current on IT products, vendors, techniques, and procedures.
- Attends demonstrations and exhibitions related to assigned operations.
5% 7.Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the score of the duties enumerated above.