at Meta in Springfield, Illinois, United States
As a Lead Systems Engineer, HW Ecosystems at Meta Reality Labs, you will lead the constellation architecture on upcoming AR/VR/Wearables products, help drive the overall strategy & roadmap, and be a part of the teams designing, building, and testing prototypes for future consumer AR/VR/Wearables reality experiences of how these devices will interact with each other. We want people who: work well in teams, can brainstorm big ideas, work in new technology areas, thrive in ambiguity, able to map tradespaces, able to drive a concept into a prototype, and can envision how a prototype could transition into a high-volume consumer product.The Reality Labs Hardware Ecosystems Systems Engineer will lead the definition and convergence of complex and novel constellation of devices architecture aimed at pushing beyond the state-of-the-art consumer AR/VR/Wearable systems. The role requires expert technical communication with cross-functional teams across ID, hardware engineering, partnerships, supply chain and core technology groups to drive incubation of new technologies from proof of concept through integration into products for mass production. This role requires excellent technical understanding of consumer electronics and AR/VR/Wearable reality systems across the stack, which will then translate to how these devices will work better together.Starting with a broad engineering background in electrical, mechanical, wireless, silicon, or related fields, we’re looking for a unique system designer or architect. The ideal candidate would have strong systems skills, previous roles driving architecture convergence on complex consumer electronics products, and experience with SoC evaluation, edge compute, wireless technologies and software, and be able to work collaboratively with experts in different fields to make architectural tradeoffs.
Lead Systems Engineer, HW Ecosystems Responsibilities:
1. Technical delivery on hardest architectural problems in early phase concept development (ensuring translation of marketing requirements to product)
2. Support the analysis of proposed system architecture against the defined requirements to ensure power, latency, thermals and required compute & communication bandwidth align with user experience and target ID
3. Engage with technology project leads, and various component SMEs in creating the overall system architecture and platform as the starting point for product execution Communicate technology and product strategy effectively to both internal and external stakeholders
4. Guide management on long term technology investments
5. Create proof of concepts
6. Collaborate with cross-functional teams on blank-slate and early-phase prototyping and product exploration, mapping it to strategic and product questions which need to be resolved
7. Creation of hardware system metrics, standards and tools for our constellation use cases and devices.
8. Drive development of system requirements to create new augmented/virtual reality experiences, and help advance technology and research roadmaps
9. Travel up to 15% time domestically and internationally
10. 5+ years of product experience in electrical, mechanical or wireless engineering
11. Experience working with one or more of these technologies: silicon, sensors, thermal systems
12. Experience in rapid prototyping and proof of concept work
13. Communication experience working with Product Development engineers, Product Managers and other hardware/software cross functional teams
14. Experience working with partnerships teams and external partners at both a supply base and product level
15. BS in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, other related technical field or equivalent experience
16. Experience in firmware development, programming, computer vision, OS, game development, wireless protocols and complex sensing systems
17. Experience modeling system power, and using those models to inform trade-offs against key architectural decisions (e.g. battery life, thermals, silicon roadmaps, power load profiles)
18. Understanding of memory subsystems including mass storage and filesystem as well as volatile memory and memory management and their impacts on overall system performance
19. Experience with Virtual/Augmented reality or systems aimed at capturing/processing/delivering audio visual, IMU or other positional data streams
20. Experience creating system models to analyze system compute, latency and communication interface bandwidths across multiple subsystems within a heterogeneous compute environment in order to define the system architecture to meet the overall goals of the product definition
21. Experience working with partnerships teams and external partners at both a supply base and product level
22. Working knowledge across the following areas with experience in at least one: Edge Compute: Analyzing compute workloads for on device ML, Edge smart access points Communications: network impacts on latency, throughput and Jitter, VoIP, video communications
23. Experience with influencing silicon vendors roadmaps and SOC features sets with emphasis on using advanced IP in the realms of Machine Learning and Wireless technologies
24. General Machine learning (DNN, CNN, RNN, GenAI LLM)
$196,000/year to $269,000/year + bonus + equity + benefits
Meta is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Meta participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. Please note that Meta may leverage artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies in connection with applications for employment.
Meta is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.