at Illinois Department of Innovation & Technology in Springfield, Illinois, United States
35% Under general direction, serves as an Application Business Analyst/Technical Writer for the Department of Innovation & Technology (DoIT):
- Performs difficult and specialized professional information technology application services.
- Develops comprehensive user manuals and guides that provide step-by-step instructions on how to use software applications, systems, or products.
- Reviews and maintains manuals and guides to ensure clarity, understanding and user-friendliness, updating as necessary.
- Prepares detailed system specifications that outline the technical aspects of software applications or systems, which includes documenting the architecture, data structures, interfaces, and integration requirements.
- Captures and documents the workflows and processes involved in business operations, including diagrams and flowcharts to provide a clear understanding of the sequence of activities and decision points.
- Develops standard operating procedures (SOP) that outline the standard processes and procedures to be followed by users or operators, reviewing to ensure they are comprehensive, accurate and aligned with industry best practices.
- Implements system development life cycle (SDLC) processes in performance of duties.
25% Collaborates with stakeholders:
- Engages with stakeholders from different departments or teams to understand their business needs and gather requirements for projects or system enhancements.
- Conducts interviews, workshops, and surveys to gather and document information about the desired functionalities and features required.
- Analyzes gathered business requirements to identify dependencies, conflicts, and gaps.
- Conducts a feasibility analysis to assess the technical and operational viability of the proposed solutions.
- Translates technical computer application requirements and business needs into detailed functional specifications that can be understood by developers and technical teams, including system behavior, user interfaces, data flows and integration points to guide the development process.
- Creates, conveys and presents technical information clearly, concisely and accurately to small and large audiences.
- Reviews and edits complex documents for technical accuracy, grammar, and formatting.
- Adapts quickly when business requirements change, troubleshooting issues and proposing innovative solutions to meet business needs.
- Analyzes, interprets and visualizes technical data utilizing tools such as Microsoft Excel, Tableau or Power BI.
- Implements knowledge of agile frameworks such as Scrum or Kanban in performance of duties.
20% Collects all necessary and related data:
- Analyzes and interprets data to identify trends, patterns and insights.
- Generate reports, charts and visualizations to present findings to stakeholders.
- Provide recommendations for improvement based on data analysis
10% Conducts project assignments:
- Coordinates and conducts project tasks, which includes, but is not limited to, coordinating and scheduling project meetings, tracking project progress and schedules and maintaining detailed project documentation.
- Keeps manager apprised of issues or problems.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams to ensure and assist with timely completion of tasks and deliverables.
5% Keeps abreast of new developments in the Information Technology (IT) field:
- Continues education by attending meetings, training sessions, seminars and conferences to increase familiarity with and maintain current on IT products, vendors, techniques and procedures.
- Attends demonstrations and exhibitions related to assigned operations.
5% Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of duties enumerated above.