at Illinois Department of Innovation & Technology in Chicago, Illinois, United States
35% Under administrative direction, serves as a LAN Chicago Network Engineer performing complex professional, advisory, and technical functions for Local Area Network (LAN) Services, supporting multiple state-wide locations for the Department of Innovation & Technology (DoIT):
- Troubleshoots and resolves complex network issues reported by customers and monitoring systems.
- Confers with customers in high stress situations to troubleshoot complex systems, end-user communication problems, and network hardware and software problems utilizing various utilities and diagnostic tools such as network monitoring systems including but not limited to: Fluke Cable Systems, Cisco Prime, OpManager, and NetScout traffic analyzers.
- Recommends actions to prevent further occurrences of the problem/issue.
- Monitors trouble tickets to ensure Service Level Agreements are providing break/fix services to agencies within listed time frames are being met.
- Escalates time sensitive trouble calls to senior staff and/or appropriate vendor for faster resolution time.
- Utilizes Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol, Quality of Service, VLAN design, DNS/DHCP, Network Security, Network Diagnostic and Management Tool Integration (Traffic analyzers) Sniffers in performance of duties.
25% Meets with users to determine layout and specifications to design, develop, and modify complex network communications, including various LAN components such as routers, switches, wireless access points, cabling, etc. and assumes accountability of associated work products within the statewide network:
- Prepares and presents network proposals to customers and management that includes hardware and software requirements and associated agency costs.
- Performs complex design and configuration planning to establish and maintain network communications.
- Determines hardware, software, and bandwidth needs, and implements agency standards to proactively resolve future problems.
- Develops Network Diagrams/Maps and flow charts in Microsoft Visio.
- Uses network discovery tools to keep Network Diagrams up to date.
- Conducts tests and prepares analytical reviews of various settings in a complex LAN environment.
- Researches, analyzes, conducts, and coordinates in-depth documented studies related to network communication with recommendations to management in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Develops, implements, and maintains change control for modifications, incident responses, detailed architecture documentation, and testing procedures for management of the network environment.
25% Performs complex hardware and software staging and installation:
- Tests and maintains LAN switches, wireless access devices, and network cabling, including physical installation and configuration of equipment.
- Maintains firmware and software levels to vendor recommended levels.
- Reviews and performs vendor recommendations for upgrades.
- Installs and sets up hardware and software.
10% Keeps abreast of new developments in the Information Technology (IT) field:
- Continues education by attending meetings, training sessions, seminars, and conferences to increase familiarity with and maintain current on IT products, vendors, techniques, and procedures applicable to Section activities.
- Confers with vendors, executives, and other IT professionals to understand the latest technologies and recommend ways to implement them within the infrastructure.
5% Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of duties enumerated above.