at Anixter Center in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Job DescriptionAnixter Center – What We Do- Who We Are
Anixter Center is a growing, community focused 501(c)(3) organization with a $17M budget, 22 locations, and 200 staff, located throughout Chicagoland. We have proudly supported hundreds of thousands of people in the area since 1919 and are dedicated to serving people with disabilities, behavioral health challenges, and who are Deaf/Deafblind/Hard of Hearing.
*We offer a competitive benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, Life, & 401k* Love what you do!
What We Do- Who We Are Anixter Center has proudly served hundreds of thousands of people in the Chicago area since 1919. Our focus is on servicing clients with disabilities through a variety of programs while helping to support each person to live as independently as possible, as a member of their community. *We offer a competitive benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, Life, & 401k* Love what you do!
POSITION: Direct Support Professional (Part-Time) PROGRAMS: CRS Legacy Program Hours: - Monday thru Friday - 9:00am-2:30pm
What you will do:
- Ensure timely completion of all client paperwork, including daily attendance and documentation data on all goals and supports.
- Assist and support clients’ independence in preparation of meals and snacks as needed.
- Ensure adherence to all mandated reporter, OIG guidelines, and DHS guidelines.
- Implement positive and proactive behavior management techniques and interventions as identified in clients’ behavior intervention plans.
- Provide input regarding development of appropriate goals for clients, incorporating client choice.
- Collaborate with program manager(s) and administration regarding clients’ programming needs and concerns daily.
- Ensure clients are actively involved in their own daily program, both in individual and group activities
- Maintain a neat, orderly, and safe work environment.
- Participate in all required on and off-site training upon hire and as routinely required.
- Maintain professional communication with co-workers, clients’ parents/guardians, employers, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Assist with personal care activities (including taking clients to the toilet) as needed; support clients’ complete grooming and hygiene activities independently.
- Maintain agency mandated crisis intervention and other related trainings deemed mandatory or relevant by Anixter Center.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- DSP certified preferred; must be able to obtain DSP certification within six months of employment (provided by agency).
- CPR/AED and First Aid certification; must be able to obtain certification within six months of employment (provided by agency).
- Proficiency in American Sign Language (ASL) is required.
- For staff that support a 1:1 client who use ASL as a mode of communication, a required American Sign Language proficiency test will be administered before hire.
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Proficient in American Sign Language preferred, but not required.
- Valid driver’s license preferred but not required.
- Ability to meet all requirements to drive agency vehicles preferred but not required.
- Capable of navigating the use of public transportation system (CTA/RTA/Metra).
- Ability to multi-task in a high stress environment.
- Ability to interact with diverse personalities, including, but not limited to, clients, parents/guardians, staff, employers, funding representatives, etc.
- Ability to participate in and meet all Department of Human Services and related training requirements.
- Ability to perform all functions necessary to obtain agency required crisis intervention certification.
- A commitment to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment.