in County, IL
As a Backend Engineer for our Data Engineering team, you will play a key role in growing and innovating our highly performant, energy data pipeline and architecture. You will apply your analytical skills in several areas including:
- Database development for highly performant ETL pipelines
- Software design for API and Cloud-based data delivery
- Creating and improving database architecture and frameworks with a focus on maintainability and high performance
- Database development in support of internal applications and automated software testing
The Data Engineering team serves an important role for all participants in the energy markets. This team is tasked with collecting new data and creating derivative, value-added datasets from that data to help our clients solve problems. Your design solutions are built to ensure the highest level of data completeness, correctness, and timeliness for real time data streams of large, complex time series data.
This position offers candidates an opportunity to develop greater knowledge of energy markets, cloud-based software products, and SaaS businesses, while applying and developing technical, research, and customer-facing skills with one of the most creative and hard-working staff in the
industry. We encourage you to build our products with exciting technologies including Oracle PL/SQL, Java, Python, Amazon Web Services, and Snowflake.
You will make a great member of the team if you:
- Have at least 4 years of backend or data engineering experience.
- Have basic java, python, shell scripting, object-oriented programming knowledge
- Have experience in a Cloud Environment (AWS preferred w S3 buckets, Lambdas, Kinesis, etc.) - we use Snowflake and AWS
- Have at least 3 years of SQL experience, and would like to design, develop, analyze and troubleshoot PL/SQL code - PL/SQL is the primary language of this role
- Have an interest in and experience with architectures that consume and transform large amounts of complex, time series data for analysis
- Have a track record of implementing complex business logic through complex database models and clear APIs -- We love our customers and we love to give them a high-quality user experience!
- Are passionate about tuning systems for exceptional performance
- Love to mentor junior staff for development of their skills in technology, problem solving, communication, and customer service
- Want to be part of a collaborative Agile Software Development team designing solutions to complex problems that will impact the future of our ever-evolving electrical grid
- Ingest, clean, normalize, and combine non-uniform data sources through scraping websites, consuming data APIs, consuming FTP feeds, etc.
- Ensure highest possible completeness, timeliness, quality and integrity of Yes Energy Data, with an eye towards continuous improvement of our systems and data ● Create/design new data structures which provide optimized value to customers and their changing reporting needs.
- Maintain database packages, procedures, views, functions, Oracle types for internal systems, metadata systems and related internal tools and tools.
- Design and write API endpoints to serve our single-page data analytics application and our DSAPI product
- Contribute to technical departmental standards in such areas as change control, configuration management, development methodology, and coding standards ● Create and maintain technical documentation
- Learn and develop technical skills in all areas of our data engineering architecture, as well as
- Mentor junior developers and improve technical knowledge across the company
Yes Energy delivers real-time market data and electric power trading decision solutions. Over 1,000 market participants use Yes Energy solutions daily. The business is a leader in all aspects of information content collection and management, as well as in developing and delivering data and market analytics solutions. Since its inception in 2008 Yes Energy has become a trusted and respected supplier of innovative and reliable solutions focused on the needs of power market analysts, traders and trade managers. Yes Energy has a team of over 100 amazing professionals located in Boulder, CO (HQ), Boston, MA and Chicago, IL.
Yes Energy provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Yes Energy complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.