at CBRE in Springfield, Illinois, United States
Data Center Chief Operating Officer
Areas of Interest
Data Centers, Executive Management
Remote – US – Remote – US – United States of America
The purpose of the role is:
· Provide first line support to the DCS AMS Senior Managing Director, with a focus on strategy,
operations, and business performance.
· Deputy for the Senior Managing Director and Global COO when required, ensuring the
business operates in line with agreed standards and Governance.
· Support D, E &I agenda across the Region.
· Support the DCS AMS Senior Managing Director in delivering key objectives.
· Provide strategic insight and guidance to the BUD’s and Functional Leaders, with an
overarching responsibility for driving operational excellence, managing risk and supporting
business leaders in driving exceptional client outcomes.
· Lead central functions with the stewardship and guidance in delivering strategies and
objectives to ensure exceptional outcomes. This includes; QHSE, Procurement, Technical and
· Grow and cultivate CBRE’s product base, culture and behaviors so the business positively
contributes to the growth and financial performance of GWS and the overall business.
· Act as senior counsel working collaboratively with other business leaders. Ensure alignment
with the DCS Global COO function ensuring strategic outcomes are achieved.
· Work with the Executive Leadership to contribute to the broader growth and development of
GWS Local / DCS.
· Assist in the development of strong leaders with capabilities to own and enable the execution
of the DCS strategy within the business and on accounts.
· Support the profitable growth of DCS through participation and leadership in new business
pursuits when required.
· Lead the transition of key strategic projects that effect the Global DCS business.
· Lead principal projects across the US AMS business. Providing Stewardship, Governance and
· Collaborate with other service lines, divisional leadership, platform and other functions
departments when an integrated service delivery model is proposed or in operation. Minimize business interruptions and increase overall DCS account performances, through the promotion and utilization of DCS’ best practices and processes that enable operational excellence. · Lead the support functions in driving business improvements, innovation, creating simplicity and transparency and where possible ensure good governance is achieved. · Being directly responsible for business outcomes for accounts/divisions assigned by the Senior Managing Director AMS or Global COO, DCS.
1. Work with the DCS AMS Senior Managing Director to define the needs of the business and
customers, embedding these into the business line strategy.
2. Support the Senior Managing Director in creating a business strategy which meets customer needs
and delivers operational excellence and cost efficiencies.
3. Monitor and measure the delivery and effectiveness of the business strategy, spotting challenges
and rectifying risks early-on.
4. Support the Critical Few programs minimizing risk to the business and delivering change swiftly.
5. Support the Projects MMM including and not limited to order book/revenue reviews.
6. Be involved in periodic Divisional Review meetings to keep up to date with the business
opportunities and challenges.
7. Visit key contracts every month to understand opportunities and challenges that are facing the
8. Work closely with divisions to ensure their business plans meet the need of the overall business
9. Measure, monitor and report on adherence to the legal and corporate requirements, take remedial
action where compliance is not evident.
10. Create a culture of quality, innovation, and cross-divisional exceptional quality and innovation.
11. Own assigned business P&L, taking full responsibility for all spend.
12. Attract, develop, and retain employees so the functions have talented specialists who are able to add
maximum value/return on investment to the business following D,E & I Processes.
13. Be constantly visible and accessible to the team and is recognized as the operational business leader
through gravitas and role modelling of company culture and behaviors.
14. Encourages a culture of co-operation and teamwork ensuring that staff are recognized and
rewarded as appropriate through local mechanisms such as the Exceptional Awards.
15. Represents CBRE in a professional and credible manner to customers and the public.
16. Leads and develops high-level customer relationships with both existing and potential customers
through fully understanding their needs and demands where independent support is required.
Education · Higher educational qualifications to degree or relevant discipline · Significant industry or relevant business leadership experience. · Master’s degree or MBA · Membership of a Professional Institute
Skills · Able to work in a multi-layered matrix organization, prioritizing, delegating and effectively communicating with key stakeholders to achieve goals. · Develop strategies and leads business teams through a high-level understanding of data analysis, technology enablers, process flow analysis, industry practices and market conditions. · Ability to maintain a high-level strategic view, whilst managing effective day to day delivery. · Able to inspire confidence and trust as the business operational lead. · Able to deal with individuals at all levels, both internally and externally. · High level of networking and relationship building skills. · High level of written and verbal communication skills · High level of organizational skills · Ability to understand commercial and financial metrics · Ability to multitask · Leadership · Strong influencing skills
Knowledge · In depth industry knowledge in one or more of the following: Data Centers, FM, RE, M&E, critical, facilities management, projects and building services · Industry knowledge of property management
Experience · Significant experience at senior management or executive level in a matrix organization, including responsibility for product, culture, and people · Experience of operating at Board or Executive level
· Dealing with a range of people from site staff to Board level · Budgeting and P&L management in a matrix organization · Proven sales/business development experience from a related industry
Aptitude · Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills · An excellent relationship builder · Ability to inspire confidence · High degree of integrity and sincerity · Highly motivated · Highly organized with attention to detail · Ability to understand complex situations · Results focused · Operate as a corporate citizen · Analytic and decisive decision maker
Circumstances · Able to travel globally on an ad-hoc basis as customer and business needs demand. · Able to work outside core hours to get the job done
Core Competencies · Empowered leadership · Strategic thinking and planning · Understanding customer needs · Responsiveness · Competence to deliver · Innovation · Continuous improvement · Reliability · Commercial excellence · Manages self and develops others
CBRE is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have a long-standing commitment to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, veteran status, political belief, or any other basis protected by applicable law. We also provide reasonable accommodations, as needed, throughout the job application process. If you ha