at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chica in Lake Forest, Illinois, United States
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago provides superior pediatric care in a setting that offers the latest benefits and innovations in medical technology, research and family-friendly design. As the largest pediatric provider in the region with a 140-year legacy of excellence, kids and their families are at the center of all we do. Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago is ranked in all 10 specialties by the U.S. News & World Report.
Day (United States of America)
LocationSimpson Querrey Biomedical Research Center
The Research Scientist (RS) will design, organize, and conduct highly specialized and advanced experiments using established scientific protocols and procedures and, in some cases, designing new protocols; summarize findings and publish results in research journals; assume general responsibility for scientific operations of the laboratory; provide supervision and guidance to technicians, students, and researchers. The RS will be an experienced researcher in molecular and cell biology, have strong computer and skills for image and data analysis software. Additionally, the RS will collaborate with faculty members in the performance and analysis of complex research studies, and grant and manuscript preparation.
This position is specifically to assist on a NIH Human BioMolecular Atlas Program grant as the project manager. This includes representing the team at HuBMAP update, demo day and workshop meetings and coordinating specimen transfer and data acquisition with primary PIs and collaborators.
More information available at: LarondaLab.org and hubmapconsortium.org
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Area Specific Job Accountabilities:
1. Maintains knowledge of relevant scientific literature and technical resources to provide consultative, educational, technical and informational services as needed to staff and faculty.
2. Communicates the results of the study work to the general scientific community through publications and/or oral presentations.
3. Designs, conducts and/or coordinates research studies and projects. Develops and evaluates new procedures and protocols. Collaborates with faculty members and scientists in the performance and analysis of complex research studies.
4. Independently performs various laboratory procedures, including cell culture, microscopy, DNA, RNA
and protein isolation, PCR, DNA sequencing. Ability to be trained efficiently in Laronda Lab specific techniques. May develop own specific project and/or protocols of specific research interest and within focus of the laboratory.
5. Maintains accurate research records and
6. Presents data in group settings.
7. Builds scientific knowledge by reading relevant articles and attending seminars.
8. Demonstrates initiative in solving problems and implementing laboratory procedures.
9. Communicates effectively and builds working relationship with supervisor and co-workers.
10. Participates in the development of new procedures and protocols in the conduct of research studies.
11. Maintains research related materials to include study supplies and equipment, data, publications, submitted grants and other scientific documents.
12. Collaborates with faculty in the preparation of manuscripts.
13. Participates in development of grant proposals.
14. Train and supervise technical staff, medical and graduate trainees.
15. Provide technical guidance to students, post-doctoral fellows and faculty as required.
16. Be an important senior member of the lab that generates robust, quality data and academic outputs and represents the collaborative and innovative lab culture.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Medical or Biological Sciences or related field required.
2. A minimum of 5 years of related experience in reproductive biology or related fields, including: genetic, cellular biology, and/or developmental biology research required.
3. Prior data analysis experience in molecular biology, cellular biology, and project management is required.
4. Prior work experience in a wet-laboratory research setting required.
5. Advanced computer proficiency in Microsoft Suite.
6. Strong oral and written communication skills.
7. Strong organizational skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
EducationMaster's Degree (Required)
For full time and part time employees who work 20 or more hours per week we offer a generous benefits package that includes:
Medical, dental and vision insurance
Employer paid group term life and disability
Employer contribution toward Health Savings Account
Flexible Spending Accounts
Paid Time Off (PTO), Paid Holidays and Paid Parental Leave
403(b) with a 5% employer match
Various voluntary benefits:
Supplemental Life, AD&D and Disability
Critical Illness, Accident and Hospital Indemnity... For full info follow application link.