at SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, United States
Under supervision and in collaboration with other health care professionals, assists in performing a variety of nursing care services for patients.
Job Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Completes patient care tasks based on skills deemed competent in nursing school under direction of RN.
- Contributes to overall quality and safe care for patients by answering patients’ calls for help, taking their vital signs, and monitoring their behavior and physical condition for progress or deterioration as measured by patient satisfaction, quality audits, direct observation.
- Creates a positive patient experience by assisting patients with their activities of daily living including assisting with baths, ambulating, feeding, skin care, personal and oral hygiene and making occupied and unoccupied beds as measured by patient satisfaction quality audits and direct observation.
- Contributes to quality care and safety by assisting and performing procedures such as performing dressing changes, enemas, ostomy care, toileting, turning, cough and deep breathing, catheter care, collection of biological specimens, measuring and recording intake and output of fluids.
- Contributes to exceptional patient satisfaction by establishing a compassionate environment, timely responses to patients' needs, open communication and providing emotional and psychological support.
- Contributes to safety and quality care by relaying information via charting and communicating to team members.
- Contributes to achievement of exceptional health care by functioning as a member of the team as measured by active participation in department initiatives, unit meetings, committees and special projects.
- Informs licensed nurse of any changes in patient condition/needs, of patient complaints, and of patient/significant other educational needs.
- Prepares patients for discharge and accompanies them upon dismissal as indicated.
- Stocks and maintains supplies and equipment in keeping with patient care needs and cost containment. Utilizes time and supplies economically and conscientiously.
- Orients new patients and significant others to the nursing unit.
- Works in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.