at Baxter & Woodman, Inc. in Crystal Lake, Illinois, United States
POSITION: Construction Department Manager
POSITION LOCATION: Mokena, Naperville, IL
At Baxter & Woodman, both seasoned professionals and recent graduates find more than a job; they uncover a long-lasting, fulfilling career with a distinguished leader in technology and innovation. Our work environment is extraordinary, and being honored as one of the 2023 Zweig Best Firms to Work For exemplifies our appreciation and respect for our dedicated staff.
Baxter & Woodman has a rewarding opportunity for a Construction Department Manager in our Mokena or Naperville, IL offices. The Municipal Engineer will support the firm’s Transportation group on a variety of projects ranging from roadways to underground utility, drainage studies, and infrastructure improvements. The position will also offer the opportunity to work directly with firm clients and assist with the design of projects. This position will be responsible for the management of staff within the Naperville and Mokena region and their assignments and perform Department Management duties.
- Department Manager for Construction Services in the specified Southern Chicagoland Region.
- Oversee the work of others and assign work to staff.
- Develop training programs for staff.
- Mentor employees for career advancement.
- Strong relationships with clients and participation in business development.
- Provide general municipal engineering services to several clients, including roadway, underground utility, and infrastructure improvements and review of private development submittals.
- Assist the firm’s transportation department by completing engineering plans, specifications using IDOT Standards, and drainage engineering studies for municipal, county, and state clients.
- Develop hydrologic and hydraulic models of municipal storm sewer and sanitary collection systems.
- Analysis and design of municipal stormwater facilities (open channels, culverts, storm sewers, detention basins, green infrastructure, etc.) and proposed improvement projects.
- Assistance with Drainage Studies and Stormwater Masterplans, including report preparation.
- Identify and submit grant applications.
- Attend meetings with clients and agencies to resolve questions and to plan and coordinate work.
- Prepare written review reports; communicate with Municipal Staff, developers, and designers.
- Respond proactively to inquiries from Municipal Staff and Officials, developers, designers, and adjacent property owners.
- Professional Engineering License required.
- B.S. degree in Civil/Construction Engineering from an accredited program with an emphasis in construction engineering preferred.
- Broad knowledge of principles of engineering as well as advanced engineering expertise.
- Past experience on IDOT or Illinois Tollway projects desired.
- Computer skills and mastery of proprietary software (IDOT/Tollway construction management programs, etc.).
- Effective communication, both oral and written, with residents, businesses, and public agencies.
- Ability to explain technical issues to non-technical municipal staff and officials.
- Ability to work with local government staff and officials.
- Ability to travel throughout Baxter & Woodman service area (own transportation).
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong computer and organizational skills.
Join Our Team! - At our organization, we prioritize the holistic well-being of our employees through a comprehensive range of benefits. This commitment is evident in our healthcare offerings, including medical, dental, and vision plans, alongside an Employee Assistance Program and dedicated benefit advisors for personalized support. Financial well-being is enhanced through our financial planning program, life and disability insurance, tax savings plans, and coverage for accidents, cancer, and critical illnesses. Balancing work and life, we provide generous paid time off, paid holidays, parental leave, and flexible work arrangements, including the option to work from home on half Fridays and varied schedules. Additionally, we lead the industry by offering 401k plans, supported by expert financial advisors, and an Employee Stock Ownership program, ensuring our employees are not just part of a workplace but a thriving, supportive community dedicated to their well-being, financial security, and happiness.
Baxter & Woodman is an equal opportunity- affirmative action - M/F/Vet/Disability employer.