at Abbott in Lake Forest, Illinois, United States
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Sr Director, Global Distribution
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit – an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Lake Forest, IL location in the Core Diagnostics Division. Our diagnostic solutions are used in hospitals, laboratories, and clinics around the globe. The crucial information derived from our tests, instruments and informatics systems are often the first step in patient care decision making for hundreds of health conditions from heart attacks to blood disorders to infectious diseases and cancers.
The Senior Director, Global Distribution leads and directs a global team responsible for distribution, freight & trade compliance operations. The Sr. Director Global Distribution will lead the organization to maximize growth and expand margin while ensuring compliance. This individual will successfully set the Freight & Distribution vision, develop a comprehensive strategy, and lead the organization through strategy execution to ensure Abbott achieves all its business objectives.
What You’ll Work On
- Lead the Global Freight & Distribution team and develop pipeline of talent for Global Supply Chain
- Influence and consult on the Freight and Distribution strategy and spend in other parts of the division
- Develop and execute annual and long-term strategic plans for Freight & Distribution to ensure Supply Chain objectives are met inclusive of warehousing, transportation and IT tools and systems.
- Translate business needs and priorities into strategies and programs that contribute to driving revenue and margin growth and deliver the highest customer service.
- Directs costs and productivity of all the operations, ensuring resources are optimized across the operations, and that high levels of productivity are maintained.
- Delivers input and ensures compliance to internal and external quality, environmental & trade compliance controls
- Ensures metrics are set at the global and local level to ensure sustainability of the operations over the long term.
- Manage logistic provider relationships including the development, negotiation, and management of contracts.
- Maintain broad knowledge of worldwide market trends on logistics issues, regulatory environment and issues, currency fluctuations, factors driving freight, distribution, and other relevant cost factors.
- Ensure operational excellence through standardization of existing practices, risk assessment and review of key metrics.
- Establish an environment of continuous improvement which supports engaged employees, a lean operations mindset, focused on the customer and driving cost savings plan that will lead to a leaner and more efficient operation, resulting in more profitable business practices while increasing customer satisfaction levels.
- Ensure customs and trade practices are compliant and support the needs of the business
- Define and implement IT capital programs to assure harmonized, compliant, sustainable operations.
- Work cross-functionally with Operations, Quality, Commercial and others as needed to ensure efficient and effective commercialization of new products.
- Develop, implement, and monitor effectiveness of systems and procedures to ensure compliance with FDA, ISO, Abbott Trade and Compliance and all other applicable external agency regulations and ensure infrastructure meets regulatory requirements
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities, as assigned
- Responsible for multiple sites with 400+ total employees and a $100MM budget;
- BS degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 15+ years of progressively responsible work experience in a high-volume, regulated, multi-product manufacturing environment, preferably in the medical device industry
- Demonstrated and proven leadership skills with specific experience working in a global organization
- Strong communication, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and project management skills required
- Solid leadership and people management skills, including demonstrated ability to coach, mentor and develop employees
- Significant experience in identifying and driving change, continuous improvement, and operational excellence
- Ensure a safe work environment consistent with OSHA requirements and Abbott policies
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of time, including internationally
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Comply with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, similar global regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments
- Maintain positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors
Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal
The base pay for this position is $176,000.00 – $352,000.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email email@example.com